Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 96 14:40:03
From:      "Ugen J.S.Antsilevich" <ugen@latte.worldbank.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   WOW: ipfw vs ipfilter (part II)

I missed the point i actually wanted to bring so probably all i wrote is not really understoodable
without this:

In the last year i received lots of problem reports about IPFW, of them most were because of
misunderstanding of the command line  interface. As i researched the topic (installed it and
played for 10 minutes) i realised that the interface is obviously rather different then what i had
in place and (per my statistics) all the problems reported to me were because only of this reason.
ipfw itself is a rather primitive and straightforward ipfilter and hardly has place for bugs.
 What kind of set me off this time is that Jordan just tried to install it first time AFAIS,
most certainly (and tell me if i am wrong) stumped upon misconfiguration (some keyword which
acts differently than it has to or some undocumented stuff or what not) and because of this
he actually says that ipfw is bad. To my defence i can say only - i am sure if you tell me what
do you wan tto do and i use my original version it is a matter of 1-2 lines of config.

I hope it clears the issue of fairy tales and such:)

Thanx!

--Ugen