Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 1996 18:37:14 -0800
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        tomz@gerry.snafu.de (Thomas Zaenker)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, tomz@unlisys.net (Thomas Zaenker)
Subject:   Re: XServer-HW-Support?

>I'm going to get a PCI graphik board for my FreeBSD- and netbsd- Systems
>running on my PCs. Can anyone recommend me one of the following boards that
>are offered this time by my local supplier:
[...]
>	- Diamond Stealth 64V/ 3D, 2MB EDO, PCI

I don't know why you'd want to buy a 3D video card for X.  It wouldn't
use any of the 3D features, and the regular "2D" stuff wouldn't be as
high quality.

I have a Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM 3400XL, and it is an excellent
card.  High refresh rates, lots of colors, very fast, and really nice
and crisp.  I highly recommend it.  It's based on the S3 968 video
processor.

If you have a good monitor, and are at all picky, you probably want to
stick with the better cards and avoid ones that use the Trio 64
chipset.  They only max out at 75 or 80MHz dot clock, meaning you
won't get very high refresh rates.

http://www.xfree86.org/

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net