Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 1996 09:53:11 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Stephen Hocking <sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quake's out, where's that Linux ELF emulation?

> Fine , arrange it . I like to go "down" fighting not standing down.

Well, that's generally an admirable strategy for charging up San Juan
hill (if you're Teddy Rosevelt, anyway) but I don't think that it's
going to buy us anything with ID.  I will, nonetheless, send a message
to Dave Taylor asking him to publically clarify their position on
Quake in this newsgroup.

In the meantime, I think the strategy most likely to get positive
results is to get folks to hack on the ELF emulation.  The NetBSD camp
certainly seems to be getting good results with that, and I wouldn't
even be surprised to hear they got sound working at some point soon.
They've been ahead in the emulation arena for some time now, and if we
should be feeling bad about anything, it's that.

> If they don't make port for FreeBSD can you remove the stuff from
> the ftp.cdrom.com site. This is my thinking they are so in love with

Huh?  What stuff?  You mean the ID archives?  You've got to be
kidding!  ftp.cdrom.com is a lot more than a FreeBSD machine, it's
also a PR mechanism for Walnut Creek CDROM, and at the moment the ID
downloads are exceeding the FreeBSD ones by a factor of, oh, at least
3 to 1.  If push came to shove, we'd go first, not ID's stuff.. :-)

Please, let's not let evangelism run away with common sense here!

Personally, I fail to see what the big fuss is all about.  I've never
even played quake and probably won't have the time anytime soon this
year for it or any other game.  I daresay that those of us with
similar TODO-lists-from-hell are finding themselves in the same boat.
All this fuss over a game?  Who the hell has time to play games?  I
honestly couldn't care less what ID is up to.

> protest of not providing a FreeBSD port. This may or may not work
> but for sure the current strategy is not working .

I wasn't aware that a current strategy with regard to ID themselves
was needed.  Again, no reason to hold anyone at gunpoint, threatening
to take their FTP site away if they don't play ball (something that
would hurt us [WC] a lot more than it hurt them), All those that
really, truly care about this have to do is work on the Linux
emulation code and they'll get ALL of ID's products, past and future,
for free.  That seems like a very effective strategy and one that
removes our reliance upon a vendor who has already shown themselves to
be somewhat hostile.

> Don't mind me my old Puerto Rican blood well is boiling
> and you ought to hear the keyboard and I am amazed I that have
> not pop a key!

:-)

Nothing wrong with boiling blood, me old son, just don't let it impair
your strategic thinking!  This is not a scenario where repeated blows
with blunt objects is going to achieve the results you desire, rather
think of it more like a game of chess.  They make their move, you make
yours, always calculating for maximum advantage a few moves further in
the game.  NetBSD is already doing much of the work, so it's not even
like we're faced with doing the task from scratch.

					Jordan