Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 1998 18:59:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Capriotti <capriotti@geocities.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X based Free installation

On Wed, 7 Jan 1998, Capriotti wrote:

> >  How would a graphically install help?  I don't think it would in the
> >examples you've given.  If the CDROM can't be accessed, why would a
> >graphical install indicate why, and a non-graphical install not?  Why
> >would concepts (info and language) displayed in a graphical dialog box be
> >lessing confusing if those concepts where displayed in a non-graphical
> >one?
>
> I was thinking of a way to make Free more attractive for other kind of
> users; As I mentioned before, my goal os making FBSD so attractive - and
> easy - to install/use that even a secretary could do it.

  A good first step would be for your CDROM to work with the installer.
My point is that any install is meaningless if it doesn't work.

> Actualy user buy things that are "neat". A graphical interface would make
> things look beautiful. Placebo effect, I know, but it would help "spreading
> the word".

  GUI is doable, you just can't do it during the install.  It is chicken
and egg problem.  You can't get a nice X display, until you've installed
an X server for your video card, and lots of support software.

> >> Today's instasllation (2.2.1) is a bit better, more user friendly, but I
> >
> >  Todays installation?  2.2.1 is ancient.  Two releases have been made
> >since.
>
> I was just mentioning that 2.2.1 was the one I was talking about; And,
> Installation of 2.1 and 2.2.1 are not that different, so I thought that it
> wouldn't have changed that much on newer versions. But I see it did, I am
> glad to learn about it.

  Well, sysinstall _looks_ the same, but it is more difficult to get
stuck.  IDE CDROMs work better.

> But there's something I didn't understand:
>
> OK. We wouldn't be able to make one single installation disk (floppy) for
> FBSD using the X interface. But what if the CD ROM installation ? Can't it
> be done ?

  X is large.  It wouldn't fit on single disk.  CD ROM would work (have a
fully installed X on CD with support for all different video adapters.
But what about non-CDROM installs?  FTP installs are very popular.

> I am not THAT familiar with the processes, so I can't see the difficulty,
> but, if you get the kernel up and running, and if you have the files on the
> cd, why whould it be so difficult to put X running too ?

  Non-CDROM installs is the biggy.

Tom