Date:      Mon, 24 Aug 1998 21:08:43 +0200 (MESZ)
From:      Rainer M Duffner <Rainer.Duffner@konstanz.netsurf.de>
To:        William Woods <wwoods@cybcon.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: StarOffice & wordperfect

On Mon 24 Aug, William Woods wrote:
> > I installed it only to 'see' it and know if and how it works.
> > I don't see it as a 'killer-app', nor would I use/welcome the
> > MS-Office-Suite, if there was a port to Linux/FreeBSD.
>
> Well, I would both use and welcome a MS Office like program, for a couple
> reasons. Unlike a lot of people, I use FreeBSD not as a hobby system, but a
> work system. I need Word Processing, spread sheets, database  and would
> greeatly welcome a program like Power Point.

What's the state of Kpresenter ?
I think there was another program someone else mentioned to me.

> Personally, if they were integrated and worked together, great. IMHO, lack of
> everyday apps like these are holding FreeBSD back. StarOffice and Word
> Perfect, (I use both) are a welcome addition to the Unix world and
> fill a very big hole in needed apps.

OK, your right, I was a bit harsh.
It's just that I don't have a personal need for the office-suites, as I
don't use FreeBSD as a desktop-platform (nor do I use Windows).
I find the thought of x*100 MB software-installs (for writing letters or
showing 'slides') downright repulsive.
It's enough to have one contanimated platform (M$-Windows) where
features, marketing and apparently "toy'ish-ness" count more than the
actual value or real-world usability of software.

I don't want FreeBSD become into _that_.
Netscape is enough....

cheers,
Rainer
|Rainer Duffner, E-Mail: duffner@fh-konstanz.de  |
|        &   Rainer.Duffner@konstanz.netsurf.de  |
|Fachhochschule Konstanz, Germany                |
|"What's a Network ?"  - Bill Gates, early 1980s |
|   WWW:http://www-stud.fh-konstanz.de/~duffner  |