Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 1996 03:51:28 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@jhome.DIALix.COM>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith), freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Aust. ISDN, was Re: Win32 (was:Re: Go SCSI! Big improvement...)

>[ ... ]

>> > So buy hardware from the US.  It's not like we can install it in
>> > our service areas for our own use.  8-).
>>
>> Connecting such a unit makes you liable for a $12000 fine.  Not my
>> visualisation of a Good Idea 8)
>
>I find it hard to believe that you could casually connect a US
>manufactured 5ESS Electronic Switching System unless you were the
>phone company... or run the AT&T ISDN software on it unless you
>owned it.  Or substitute the 6Mb/S out, 4Mb/s in cards that AT&T
>has that "just plug in" as replacements for the ISDN cards in a
>5ESS.

Who's talking about switches?  The US stuff is incompatable (protocol
wise) with ours anyway..  (Our ISDN flavour is closer to the European one, and
will be identical soon, once the exchange upgrades are finished).

We've been talking about $12,000+ fines for plugging in an ISDN card into a PC
and using your own drivers..

>If you are talking cards, well, they can be shoved through the
>approval process by an enterprising importer who wants to make
>his money on the margins on imported hardware.

Not without spending $$$$$$ to redo the firmware on the cards/ta's/etc to do
the sufficiently different protocols.  You've got to sell a lot of boxes to
cover that kind of cost for such a small market.

My experiences so far with the imported "multi-market" hardware so far has
been terrible.  Trying to get it to support some of the.. "unique"
requirements to activate semi-permanent flat rate billing has been rather
depressing.  I hope the Cisco stuff does a better job.

>					Terry Lambert
>					terry@lambert.org
>---
>Any opinions in this posting are my own and not those of my present
>or previous employers.

Cheers,
-Peter