Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 1995 08:43:09 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        "Karl Denninger, MCSNet" <karl@mcs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI channel hangs?

>Has anyone seen these?
>
>I have a 2742 (twinchannel EISA) adapter and also run 1742As.  I've seen
>this problem with both, where the system starts printing on the console
>"disk xxx not responding to selection" and then panics after a few minutes
>and restarts (presumably because one or more critical pages is on the swap
>partition and can't be gotten).
>
>The problem does not appear to be load related; I have seen this on an
>*idle* system!  The disk subsystem and adapter is known good; I used to run
>BSDI on this same machine without problems.
>
>Ideas?
>
>--
>--
>Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
>Modem: [+1 312 248-0900]     | (shell, PPP, SLIP, leased) in Chicagoland
>Voice: [+1 312 248-8649]     | 7 Chicagoland POPs, ISDN, 28.8, much more
>Fax: [+1 312 248-9865]       | Email to "info@mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net
>ISDN - Get it here TODAY!    | Home of Chicago's only FULL AP Clarinet feed!

That error message does not sound like an error message from the aic7xxx
driver (aka 27/28/29/3940 driver).  Can you give me some info on the
periferals you are using, the version of FreeBSD, and what kind of
operations you are doing before you hit this condition?

Thanks
--
Justin T. Gibbs
  Software Developer - Walnut Creek CDROM