Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 2003 17:31:04 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Nicolas Souchu <nsouch@free.fr>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dynamic hints

Nicolas Souchu wrote:

> Is that possible to change hints once booted?
>
> I noticed in the archive it was planned but none of the man pages
> refer to such a feature.
>
> Any patch around?

Yes, sort-of.  kenv(8) can change the strings.  But I suspect it is too
late for something like isa since I think it would have done a pass at boot
to create the attachment nodes.  But as configuration knobs for drivers
that want to examine a string directly via getenv() etc, those would not be
too late.

Cheers,
-Peter