Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 95 20:12:13 EDT
From:      fcawth@squid.umd.edu (Fred Cawthorne)
To:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't boot a new 2.0.5A system

> >     I don't know how you other folks did it, but I can't boot a
> > freshly installed 2.0.5A disk.  I go through all the steps, choosing
> > logical choices, but then when it goes to reboot, I get "Missing
> > operating system".
>
> Geometry correct?
>
> 					Jordan

I have this same problem on my machine.  A Pentium-90 with NCR scsi and
1.7 gig Micropolis drive.  The boot floppy fdisk got the geometry wrong
for some reason. (It is correct when the disk is probed...)
I tried entering the correct geometry and it still wouldn't boot.
I had to boot with the floppy and load hd(0,a)/kernel.
I installed on a 1 gig ide drive on another machine and it worked fine.
Why does the fdisk on the install disk give me funny geometry??
I tried using FreeBSD on the whole disk, and having some dos in the
beginning...  Also, install's fdisk gives me 7000 something cylinders,
so I really doubt translation is going on anywhere...
Does anybody have any ideas??  I will continue trying tomorrow.
(I tried to manually write the boot blocks with disklabel also...)
Oh, yeah, and disklabel says something like "superblock size = 0"

Fred.