Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 1996 08:43:57 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Denis DeLaRoca 825-4580 (310) <CSP1DWD@MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: notebooks and FreeBSD

> > Does anyone have a good pointer for pcmia video grabbers and of
> > course a point to how to program the pcimia grabber.

Unless you get programming device from the manufacturer, you won't be
able to program a grabber, but all the code for the PCMCIA stuff already
exists in the current drivers.

> But more basic, does FreeBSD run fine now on some of the latest SVGA
> notebooks with sound support and CD-ROMs...

Sound yes, CD-ROMS maybe.  My NEC Versa P has an Ensonic Sound System
on-board which runs in SB emulation under FreeBSD.  If you can get the
sound-drivers to work on a Sound-Blaster and/or get support for the ESS
the new NECS will work.  The built-in CD should work whenever we get
generic EIDE support working on FreeBSD, but so far that's been hit and
miss.

> I understood that FreeBSD
> wasn't quite yet up to speed in regards PCMCIA and sleep/resume support.

I'm working on that now.

> I'd be quite happy if I could merely use the MBONE tools in "receive"
> mode...

I think so.

Nate