Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 18:25:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Joey Garcia <bear@pacificnet.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Promotion Ideas

Here's an idea for promoting FreeBSD.  Over in LA area we have lot's of
Computer Shows (I'm sure they have those world wide)...Anyways...why not
open a booth at one of those shows promoting FreeBSD.

At the booth...We can have a giant poster of the Beastie and a few
machines running FreeBSD showing off what it can do.  Also...we can sell
FreeBSD books and CD's.  Although, Walnut Creek would have to sponsor that
I think, considering that getting a booth at a computer show costs money.
Although, with book and cd sales ... it maybe worth it.

Another idea is of course starting a Group...one guy on this list keeps
suggesting that FreeBSD.org does something about doing a FUG (FreeBSD
Users Group)...well the way I see it is that User Groups are up the the
Users .. not really FreeBSD.org.  Although...FreeBSD.org should keep and
up to date list on all the User Groups available worldwide.

If some of you are in school...(perhaps a jounior college or
something)...maybe you can introduce FreeBSD to your C programming
instructor.  Maybe he/she would be insterested in starting a class in Unix
via FreeBSD.  I have heard of a few Community Colleges using Linux, so
maybe we can help push FreeBSD.

Hmmm...how about (thinking ...)  What if we target already established
"Computer Groups" and try promoting FreeBSD to them.  Like giving them a
free CD or something.  I'm sure that most of you live in areas that
already have Computer clubs that might not really deal with Unix, yet
should be introduced to Unix.

I guess one of the problems we have to face is to show to people what
FreeBSD has to offer them and why it's "better" than Linux or other
free-unix's.

Well...all of these were ideas that I had while I was at work.  I don't
know if any are actually possible.  Maybe they all are.  I guess the thing
is that we have to get off our butts and start doing something....but
trust me...I know that's kinda hard to do.  We all have lives and
stuff....right?

Peace,

Joey Bear Garcia