Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 2002 11:52:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Laptop lockup on re-inserting CD-RW after "atacontrol detach 1"

This happened to me about a week ago under -STABLE, and again today
under -STABLE, so I tried it under -CURRENT today (in single-user
mode, to reduce variables), and was able to re-create it.

I *believe* that I had successfully inserted the drive after "atacontrol
detach 1" shortly after the atacontrol-related changes were MFCed.

This laptop is a Dell Inspiron 5000e.  (In fairness, I should point out
that the laptop I was using until about 3 weeks ago was very similar,
and actually had the same manufacturer.  It was, however, somewhat
different, even though the peripherals, batteries, and disk drive are
interchangeable -- and the disk drive I'm using now is the same one I
have been using since March, 2001.)  I track -STABLE and -CURRENT (on
different slices) daily on the machine.  (One rason I do it this way is
to be able to compare -STABLE and -CURRENT on precisely the same hardware.)

Under -STABLE (which I'm running at the moment) here is some data of
interest:
g1-9(4.7-S)[1] vmstat -i
interrupt                   total       rate
mux irq11                   66477         76
ata0 irq14                   4809          5
ata1 irq15                      4          0
fdc0 irq6                       2          0
atkbd0 irq1                  2310          2
psm0 irq12                   2538          2
ppc0 irq7                       1          0
clk irq0                    86892         99
Total                      163033        187
g1-9(4.7-S)[2] uname -a
FreeBSD g1-9.catwhisker.org 4.7-STABLE FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE #318: Tue Oct 15 06:16:15 PDT 2002     root@d144.catwhisker.org:/common/S1/obj/usr/src/sys/LAPTOP_30W  i386
g1-9(4.7-S)[3] sudo atacontrol list
Password:
ATA channel 0:
    Master:  ad0 <IBM-DJSA-220/JS4OAC3A> ATA/ATAPI rev 5
    Slave:       no device present
ATA channel 1:
    Master: acd0 <UJDA310/1.37> ATA/ATAPI rev 0
    Slave:       no device present
g1-9(4.7-S)[4]

The drive in question is /dev/acd0 -- the Matsushita UJDA310L.

I booted the machine to -CURRENT, in single-user mode, then:

* fsck -p
* mount -a
* umount /common	[Large file system; not needed for this experiment]
* atacontrol list
* atacontrol detach 1
* atacontrol list
> removed CD-RW drive; machine reported "stray interrupt IRQ 15"
* atacontrol list	[still shows nothing cnnected to channel 1]
> re-inserted CD-RW drive	[screen went blank; machine unresponsive
				to all but power cycle]

I recently obtained a DVD/CD (read-only) drive (Toshiba DVD-ROM drive,
model SD-C2402), and I am able to insert it OK:

g1-9(4.7-S)[6] sudo atacontrol list
Password:
ATA channel 0:
    Master:  ad0 <IBM-DJSA-220/JS4OAC3A> ATA/ATAPI rev 5
    Slave:       no device present
ATA channel 1:
    Master: acd0 <UJDA310/1.37> ATA/ATAPI rev 0
    Slave:       no device present
g1-9(4.7-S)[7] sudo atacontrol detach 1
g1-9(4.7-S)[8] sudo atacontrol list
ATA channel 0:
    Master:  ad0 <IBM-DJSA-220/JS4OAC3A> ATA/ATAPI rev 5
    Slave:       no device present
ATA channel 1:
    Master:      no device present
    Slave:       no device present
g1-9(4.7-S)[9] sudo atacontrol list
Password:
ATA channel 0:
    Master:  ad0 <IBM-DJSA-220/JS4OAC3A> ATA/ATAPI rev 5
    Slave:       no device present
ATA channel 1:
    Master:      no device present
    Slave:       no device present
g1-9(4.7-S)[10] sudo atacontrol attach 1
Master: acd0 <TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-C2402/1009> ATA/ATAPI rev 0
Slave:       no device present
g1-9(4.7-S)[11] sudo atacontrol list
ATA channel 0:
    Master:  ad0 <IBM-DJSA-220/JS4OAC3A> ATA/ATAPI rev 5
    Slave:       no device present
ATA channel 1:
    Master: acd0 <TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-C2402/1009> ATA/ATAPI rev 0
    Slave:       no device present
g1-9(4.7-S)[12]

Now, the above was under -STABLE (ref. the prompts), but it was under
-STABLE that I first noticed the lockup(/panic?) from inserting the
CD-RW drive.

How may I help get this fixed?  (I do have a CVS repo available that I
update (at least) daily, and I have a spare slice where I can clone
either -CURRENT or -STABLE and hack at it.)

Thanks,
david
To paraphrase David Hilbert, there can be no conflicts between the
discipline of systems administration and Microsoft, since they have
nothing in common.