Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 1996 23:38:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        francis yeung <fyeung@netific.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1.5 Intel EtherExpress instability

On Mon, 15 Jul 1996, francis yeung wrote:

> 	FreeBSD 2.1.5 Release Notes indicates that the use
> 	of the Intel EtherExpress (I assumed that it is a Pro/10) is
> 	not recommended due to driver instability. Does this apply
> 	to both 2.1.0 and 2.0.5 Releases. Or this only applies
> 	to FreeBSD 2.1.5 only.

The Pro/10 isn't supported at all.  The warning is for the ix0 driver
which is for the Intel EtherExpress 16.

> 	Or Intel EtherExpress (Pro/10) should be used in all FreeBSD
> 	releases.

How about a no-namer NE2000 or DE2104x-based PCI ethernet card?  Those are
well supported.  I have a NE2k in this box (a P90) and except for
less-than-optimal performance (the PCI has the obvious advantage) it has
only shaken once.