Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 1998 20:31:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Steve Bernacki Jr." <steve@copacetic.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problem with Digital 21143 fast ethernet

Hi all,

I'm attempting to get a co-worker set up with FreeBSD and a Hitachi
laptop.  First, the hardware: it's a Hitachi VisionBook PRO 7000 Series
(model 7590).  You might remember my name from a month or so ago when I
wrestled with my own VisionBook Pro.  Well, I finally got that running
thanks to help from the mailing list.  Because I've been so happy with the
laptop, I recommended it to my company to purchase for our new employee.
However, it seems Hitachi has made some changes in it's latest model: it
now has a DEC 21143 Fast Ethernet card in it.  When I first booted the
machine with a generic kernel, I recieved the following output from dmesg:

de0 <Digital 21143 Fast Ethernet> rev 65 int a irq 11 on pci0:11:0
de0: can't read ENET ROM (why=-4)
(541003010000000000000000000000021d4804010080c
84841d8001e00000008
de0: 21143 [10-100Mb/s] pass 4.1
de0: address unknown

I looked in isa/if_de.c and found that why=-4 means it couldn't find the
ethernet address, which it certainly couldn't. :)  However, the ethernet
address is in that little blurb it spit out: at offset 41 one can see 00
80 c8 48 41 d8.  In an act to see if it was just this that was preventing
it from working I modified if_de.c to return the ethernet address
hardcoded.  Apon rebuilding the kernel and rebooting it reported the
correct ethernet address (of course it did, I hard-coded it) but still
wouldn't work.  I could see packets going out over the switch it's
connected to, but nothing was coming back.  I made sure the card and the
switch were talking the same speed/duplex... no joy.  I know the
hardware/cabling/switch are good, as the card works wonderfully under
Win98 (gag).

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions?  My next step would probably be to
modify whatever function that populates tulip_rombuf to read from where
ever it's reading + 41, but I fear this wouldn't help matters.  Please
let me know if there's any other useful information I can provide; this is
my first attempt at driver hacking.

Thanks,
Steve Bernacki, Jr.