Date:      Sun, 14 Feb 1999 15:25:33 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        jgrosch@mooseriver.com, Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Windows Refund Day: Watch out for Linux tactics

At 01:57 PM 2/14/99 -0800, Josef Grosch wrote:

>No, brett this is not the case. I was interviewed by the San Jose Mercury
>News and the reporter told me that all the Linux people he interviewed took
>great pains to point out that there were other OSS beside Linux. They
>emphasized that Linux is equal to FreeBSD in most ways and FreeBSD was
>better in a good number of ways.

I hope that this is the case. It doesn't seem to be the case with the
group that's organizing the Bay Area event, though.

>The BeOs people have be asked
>by Rick Moen a number of time to attend. They just can't seem to get their
>act together.

They shouldn't need to get a separate "act" together. This is an unnecessary
hurdle which Rick is imposing -- apparently in an attempt to get them to
bugger off.

>I have been running BAFUG for 2 years now (April in our 2nd anniversary) and
>Nicole Harrington and I have been doing the Install-A-Thons for almost a
>year now. I have never seen you at either the BAFUG meetings or the
>Install-A-Thons.

That's because I jet in and out of the Bay Area on business (I live in
Wyoming). Since I found out you existed (about 2 months ago), I haven't
had an opportunity to attend any of our events.

>The truth of the matter is that here in the Bay Area the Linux and FreeBSD
>camps work together based on the theory that "The enemy of my enemy is my
>friend".

It sure doesn't appear that way. I've been at a number of Bay Area
events at which the Linuxoids have bashed the BSDs at great length.

>You, on the other hand, are an ideologue and a zealot.

Nope, you might say I'm an ANTI-ideologue and an ANTI-zealot. I see
Linux zealots trashing the BSDs and pushing the GPL -- which is
destructive, anti-business, and anti-choice -- at the expense of
those of us who'd like to have a choice. I have therefore spoken out
about the problem.

>Let me ask you, are you running a users group in your area? Are you
>running Install-A-Thons?

Yes and yes.

--Brett