Date:      Fri, 19 Jun 1998 08:40:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A first encounter with 'vi'

>Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 05:38:10 -0700
>From: Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>

>BTW, just an observation... the more I use BSD, the more I come to like it.
> I wish there was money to be made writing BSD shareware (alas, most of it
>is free or something similar can be gotten free, and the user base is small
>compared to Windows) or I'd consider dumping Win95 and NT and just using
>FreeBSD - every time I use it is like an adventure discovering something
>new - it's truly exciting....

It has been observed (some time ago; I forget where or by whom) that
"UNIX is the ultimate Adventure game."

["Adventure" is a text-mode game, in which one explores a cave, bringing
back various treasures & learning things.  There are points in the
game where the prose becomes richly descriptive; the beginning I think I
can nearly quote from memory:

	You are at the end of a road, near a small brick building
	at the top of a hill.  Around you is a forest.  You hear
	the sound of a small stream trickling somewhere below you.

There's probably a version available somewhere on the Net.  It was, in
some respects (at least) an ancestor of the Dungeons & Dragons types of
games.  Of the latter, for those who are interested in such things, I
suggest looking up NetHack; the current version has an X interface...
and fair warning:  many of the critters in the dungeon know how to use
tools and things against you....]

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621