Date:      Wed, 4 Nov 1998 15:20:21 +0100
From:      Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
To:        Ken Krebs <schrade@schrade.com>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where's that native GLIDE driver?  Finish it and we might get Sin!

In <Pine.BSF.4.05.9811031201280.17629-100000@shell3.ba.best.com>, Ken Krebs wrote:

> I was just talking with an ex-coworker of mine who now works for Ritual.
> Ritual is the company who is making Sin.  They of course are planning on
> making a Linux version of Sin just like there is a Linux version of Quake
> 2.  He says that Ritual would like to support as many platforms as
> possible.  No guarantees, of course.

Great news :-)

> Once it's ported to Linux, it'd probably be very trivial to port it to
> FreeBSD 3.0.  We'd just need whoever was working on the GLIDE driver for
> FreeBSD to resurface again and complete their work.  If we could get the
> minigl ported to FreeBSD it would be a great speed boost too.  Any OpenGL
> hardware acceleration under FreeBSD would indeed help Sin getting a better
> chance of being ported.

[I hope I'm not telling things you already know]

FreeBSD emulates Linux well enough to support Quake 2 in 3dfx and x11
mode (no soft console support).

To do this, you need a rescent version of -stable or -current.

For 3dfx support, install
  ports/emulators/linux-glide
and possible
  ports/emulators/linux-mesa

This installs Linux shared libs of the needed libraries. For now,
that's the only way to have 3dfx support in FreeBSD. A FreeBSD binary
will *not* be able to use glide, only Linux binaries in emulation
mode, so your request makes no sense, as sad as it may be.

> Also, he says that they've gotten thousands of requests for a Linux
> version but very little for FreeBSD.  Let your voices be heard!

Well, that's normal.

I even argue that calling vendors who have Windows version only to
provide Linux *and* FreeBSD versions will further lower the possibilty
of having anything happen. Maybe FreeBSD folks are better off asking
or a Linux version as well.

If a vendor is FreeBSD-friendly, I would ask him to have a FreeBSD
test box handy during development. That way, he can ensure that none
of the obscure Linux interfaces are used and that it runs on
FreeBSD. This also lowers the possibilty that the binaries stop
working on future Linux versions. The FreeBSD development team is very
responsive when asked for extensions to the Linux emulator or to the
Linux libraries we ship with FreeBSD, just in case a feature is needed
that isn't emulated well enough.

There is other software where a native FreeBSD binary is more
important, especially everything that provides libraries to be linked
against user programs or programs that use dynamic loading of object
files. So far, none of this appies to games and even Quake 3 will move
back to interpreter-based extensions instead of linking in object
files.

Currently, as I said, there is no choice anyway, since a native
FreeBSD bainry will not be able to use glide.

But, what did happens to the efforts to have a native glide driver,
anyway?

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org> http://www.cons.org/cracauer