Date:      Fri, 07 Jun 2002 22:34:02 +0200
From:      Hans Ottevanger <hansot@iae.nl>
To:        Paulo Fragoso <paulo@nlink.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.6RC4 and 4.6RC2 bug?

Hi,

I have seen this happen on my machines equiped with AOpen 48x and 56x
CD-ROM drives, and reported it on the qa list:

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=7459+0+archive/2002/freebsd-qa/20020526.freebsd-qa

and

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=55493+0+archive/2002/freebsd-qa/20020526.freebsd-qa

Once the system is installed by other means (e.g. over the network),
CD-ROM access remains problematic, except when the sysctl variable
hw.ata.atapi_dma is set to 1 in the loader.

The problems did not occur in 4.5-STABLE before the ATA MFC.

I think that these AOpen drives are very similar or actually identical
to drives of other brands (Creative, Mitsumi ?), and also to several
"nameless" drives (e.g. with "AKH" in the identification string). So it
could happen that FreeBSD 4.6 cannot be installed on lots of systems
equiped with ATAPI CD-ROMS.

Kind regards,

Hans