Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 1996 08:31:20 +1000 (EST)
From:      Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        sos@freebsd.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw vs ipfilter?

In some mail from Julian Elischer, sie said:

> sos@freebsd.org wrote:

> > I'm all for it !!
> > It leaves the question what to do with julian's redirect code ??
> > It shares much of the same "features" that ipfw does, and for all I care
> > it can go as well.. Most of the features with it is now in ipfilter...
> >
> Actually it's archie's code, but we really need it..
> and I think I can make  a good argument for giving the capacity to
> use user-land agents for complicated packet processing.
> Possibly we can add a "divert' to ipfilter and get darren to accept it
> back..

I've been unwilling to join this conversation, but here I have to ask;
what does "divert" do ?

btw, on size, it is a very sensitive thing, as there are ongoing ideas
and requirements for the code (not the least of which is getting it
right and correct and bug-free) to match with the continually evolving
field, which is (maybe now) just starting to mature.  Some parts of IP
Filter are "bare-bones" ish - I provide support in the filter for the
person using it to supply their own hooks/patches to make fuller use
of it.

The .tar.gz for IP Filter includes several other programs, which whilst
not directly a part of it, do I feel complement it (others also agree on
this) and are thus included.

Darren

p.s. has anyone ever thought about having a licence which said "this code
may not be GPL'd or put under any similar license" ? ;-)