Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 10:06:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@nickelkid.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Lockups on 4.1.1-STABLE after upgrade from 3.4

Greetings,

I've got problems with a customer's firewall, running FreeBSD 4.1.1-STABLE
(from sources cvsupped October 6 into an empty /usr/src) and IP Filter
3.4.10. The machine locks up solid once or twice a day, usually twice, at
about the same times every day. When it locks up, it's simply frozen. No
panics, no network connectivity, and the console freezes--no new messages,
cannot send input from the keyboard, cannot switch virtual terminals. The
only thing to do is hit the reset button or power cycle the box. I ran a
full fsck on all filesystems on Monday (October 10), and didn't hit any
errors.

The machine is a Compaq Deskpro EN with an Intel P2-450, with 64MB of
RAM. Not a whole lot of memory, but the swap never even gets
touched. Firmware (BIOS) was upgraded on Monday, as well.

The machine worked perfectly under 3.4-STABLE, otherwise I would have
guessed bad hardware off the bat. It still could be a hardware issue, of
course, but before the customer will start swapping out RAM and hard
drives, I need to explore other possibilities.

Here's the weird thing: its sister machine, another firewall elsewhere in
the company, is running FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE without a single lockup. The
only reason the working box wasn't initially running 4.1.1-STABLE is
because I didn't have time to cvsup new sources after the CD-ROM upgrade
of the box from 3.4.

What I've done so far:

1) Stripped my kernel config down to the bare minimum, removing support of
   USB devices, as well (I don't use any), after hearing similar problems
   from other Compaq users which were solved by disabling USB support.

2) Disabled usbd and deleted the usb.ko from the /modules folder for good
   measure.

What I'm going to do:

1) Cvsup today's sources, just to be sure.

2) Bump NMBCLUSTERS up to 4096 and try out a new kernel.

3) Upgrade IP Filter to 3.4.11.

If this doesn't work, I'm going to have to backrev to 4.1-RELEASE, but I'd
rather not do that if I don't have to.

Anyone have any idea what else I can try?

Cheers,
Mick