Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 2003 13:14:55 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Nicolas Souchu <nsouch@free.fr>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dynamic hints

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 03:08:17AM -0800, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> > Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org> writes:
> > > Yes, sort-of.  kenv(8) can change the strings.  But I suspect it is t=
oo
> > > late for something like isa since I think it would have done a pass a=
t boot
> > > to create the attachment nodes.  But as configuration knobs for drive=
rs
> > > that want to examine a string directly via getenv() etc, those would =
not be
> > > too late.
> >=20
> > It wouldn't be too late for loadable modules...
>=20
> Don't most ISA probes have to happen a "the wrong time" because
> their resources are unrelocatable?  That would argue against
> post-boot-time hints...

So modules that do ISA probes will not use or honor post-boot-time
hints.  This does not mean that no other module will ever benefit from
passing any kind of parameters at load time; it is true that this
feature may be abused, but it may actually be *used*, too, and there are
people who would definitely find it useful for passing some parameters
to some modules.

G'luck,
Peter

--=20
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net	roam@FreeBSD.org
What would this sentence be like if it weren't self-referential?

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5--