Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 1998 18:06:47 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        FreeBSD Hackers <Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: GPS for xntpd Stratum 1 servers

On Wed, 7 Jan 1998, David Kelly wrote:

> If you are on the 15th floor of a 30 floor building then you are going
> to have troubles with the GPS in any case. Any view out the window will
> have less than half the sky visible. Sometimes there may not be enough
> satelites visible for a lock.

Yeah, Mike Smith suggested RS-232 <==> Fiber <==> RS-232 to the roof, but
unfortunately doing that costs an arm and a leg in this concrete jungle.
Er, maybe just a leg these days.

We'll just have to settle for having consistent time.  Unless, I can find
a dialup or radio time source here in Tokyo.

> Was it the GPS-30PC TAPR bought closout from Garmin? $99,

Don't know, I just came across the site last night.

--
michaelh@cet.co.jp                                http://www.cet.co.jp
CET Inc., Daiichi Kasuya BLDG 8F 2-5-12, Higashi Shinbashi, Minato-ku,