Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 2002 21:53:17 +0200
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Anti-Unix Site Runs Unix

William writes:

> A) Microsoft hires mainly smart people

True, although not as much so nowadays as in the past (there's a lot more
deadwood in the company than there used to be, with many useless layers of
management).

> B) Microsoft develops software in a kit-bash
> sort of manner without adequate testing,
> documentation, and communication between teams

True, but so does just about every other company writing PC software these
days.  It's an industry problem, not a Microsoft problem.  And it predates
Microsoft.

> C) People who write code in a professional
> manner often quit working for Microsoft

No.  It's just that finding people who write code that way in the first
place is extremely difficult.  Most developers have nothing like the
discipline required to document and structure code in a maintainable way,
and there are too few developers who have these qualities for any company to
hold out for them in hiring.

Software engineers who insist on a very disciplined coding environment are
not likely to stay at Microsoft or at any other PC software company, because
virtually none of them knows anything about discipline in coding.  Some NASA
contractors might be good environments for such engineers, though.

> D) People who write code in a professional
> manner are smart.

Agreed.  Most developers are probably brighter than average, but they are
not geniuses.  In addition, there exists a substantial minority of
developers who aren't above average at all in intelligence, but just happen
to enjoy writing code.  Their code usually leaves much to be desired, and
there communication skills are typically nonexistent (making it impossible
for them to document anything).

> So I reject your assertion about the relative
> intelligence most of Microsoft's employees
> compared to those elsewhere (at Sun or Apple,
> for example).

I don't know enough about Sun or Apple to assess the intelligence of their
employees.  Given that both have produced some extremely cutting-edge
technologies, it is clear that at least some of their employees are
extremely bright indeed.  But I don't know how the averages work out; Apple
in particular isn't a very successful company, for a company that presumably
would have intelligent employees.

I infer from Netscape's extremely poor business performance and from stories
I have heard of the company that its employees in general were not
especially smart.

> Microsoft's employees are probably on par with
> most other large technical organizations
> intelligence-wise.

I tend to disagree.  Microsoft employees definitely seem a bit brighter.
However, this has evolved over the years, as I've mentioned, and there are a
lot more dim bulbs there now than in the past (since the company can now
afford to carry some dead weight).

> Maybe subpar in some ethical ways since they
> are associated with an enterprise that has
> committed fairly aggregious violations of U.S.
> and European anti-trust law.

Keep in mind that (1) any irregular activities were almost certainly the
work of a small number of persons at Microsoft, and probably not the smart
ones; and (2) every company in a similar position engages in similar
activities, so there is nothing uniquely evil about Microsoft.

> Somehow, I've managed to avoid a variety of
> ad hominem attacks that are pretty obvious
> from looking at your historical posts to FreeBSD
> groups, your homepage, and your physical
> distance from Microsoft's main campus.

Good.