Date:      	Tue, 19 Nov 1996 12:57:11 +1100 (EST)
From:      "David L. Nugent" <davidn@blaze.net.au>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: more and clearing the screen

On Mon, 18 Nov 1996, Amancio Hasty wrote:

> Gee , if I use "more" to see a file right after it encounters the eof it
> clears up the screen. Anyone else seen this behavior with xterm?
> "more" works okay with syscons.

It isn't more, but your termcap. XFree 3.2 comes with a "new and improved"
termcap for its xterm with page switching in its init/deinit termcap
entries. There was some discussion about this on the FreeBSD lists a
couple of weeks back.

FWIW, I don't mind the behaviour because I have "setenv MORE '-e'" in my
.login and the equivalent in .profile.  This causes more to prompt at
the end of output and not exit immediately. If you wanted this behaviour
just in xterm, then add it to your .xinitrc or .xsession. If you don't
like the page switching at all, then edit your termcap and remove the
offending sequences.

Regards,
David