Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 2000 13:00:24 -0500
From:      Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.rg.iupui.edu>
To:        Chris <chris@tourneyland.net>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: State of Java Development on FreeBSD

--------------CC301E2042ABFCE5E5CC6511

Chris,

I think at some point you're going to make the switch over to UNIX and
you will be so happy you've done that.  The way you describe your
working with Windoze it looks like your prognosis is excellent (your
using Alt-Tab shows that you're not yet addicted to clicky-click.)

Your not getting X up is a major stumbling block and it shouldn't be
that difficult as I can see it turning you off. But since you still
keep trying shows just how excellent your prognosis is! :-)

If you have a little time to spare I suggest you track down that X11
problem first and then get emacs running. All you need to start is
some bash basics and some emacs basics. You can do it all on the non-
X console, but it looks more pleasing if you get X running.  Getting
SAMBA up and working is not a no-brainer either, so you may be better
off just swiching the console between an emacs window and a shell window.

Jikes works just fine on FreeBSD. So you're all set.... but, Java-1.2.2
is only available in some cumbersome alpha port as of now, so if you
want JDK 2 (and there are very good reasons to want it) you need to
get that alpha port running (ugh) but you may wait just a few weeks
before you can download the first native FreeBSD JDK2 binary.

If you want to stick to Windoze for now, and if you get Samba up and
working for you (if you don't you *have* to work through the
Diagnostics page that guide you step by step ...) you can even do
the compiling from Windows, since the class files are not system
dependent binaries. The only issue left is then that you have to use
the JDK that you can get running on FreeBSD, which is 1.1.8 rock solid
of 1.2.2 (with fingers crossed).

keep the faith, you're gonna be happy you did it!
-Gunther

Chris wrote:

> (This is sort of a unrelated followup to my previous posting)
>
> Hey all,
>
> I'm developing some server-side java code. I'm a Windows guy (though I've
> been running FreeBSD for over a year now, half-assedly hosting some Web
> sites), and thus far I've been doing all my development on Windows, using
> jikes as my compiler and Apache for Windows as my Web server. But
> ultimately, everything's going to be served by FreeBSD, and it's time I
> start testing on a FreeBSD machine.
>
> One option would be to go all the way - get X-Windows running on my local
> FreeBSD dev machine, learn emacs or something, and make that my desktop
> machine. I'm a little intimidated by this prospect, in that I've never even
> successfully gotten X installed before (I've made a few tries, but was
> undone by undocced cheapy video cards and gave up). If I go this route, any
> suggestions for development tools? I don't need any fancy form designers or
> any visual stuff - I'm currently using Textpad and compiling from the
> command line fom Windows, and all I really need is a little project
> managment stuff.
>
> A (potentially) simpler option would be to keep my Windows machine as my
> development machine, and through a combination of Samba and I guess some
> other stuff, control my Free machine from my Windows machine. Samba would
> be good enough for file editing, but for compiling and running I suppose
> I'd have to Alt-Tab back and forth to a telnet window, which isn't too
> savory. Are there tools out there for doing this sort of thing that I'm not
> aware of?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

--------------CC301E2042ABFCE5E5CC6511

begin:vcard
n:Schadow;Gunther
tel;fax:+1 317 630 6962
tel;home:+1 317 816 0516
tel;work:+1 317 630 7960
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://aurora.rg.iupui.edu
org:Regenstrief Institute for Health Care
adr:;;1050 Wishard Blvd;Indianapolis;Indiana;46202;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:gschadow@regenstrief.org
title:M.D., Medical Information Scientist
note;quoted-printable:Al oppinions expressed in this message are my own and do =0D=0Anot necessarily represent those of the Regenstrief Institute.
fn:Gunther Schadow
end:vcard