Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 1996 07:05:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wierd scsi error message

> The error occured during an operation for which a successful
> status had already been returned to the driver.. I would guess that
> this was a write-behind operation and that teh write could not succeed.
> Asa guess the AWRE (or whatever it is) bit was not set in hte drive
> config, otherwise it should have silently remapped the bad block.
> (unless it wasn't a media error).

This would be a poor setup for the disk - write caching enabled and
write reallocation disabled.  We can add to our 2001 things to
tweak in the scsi code: sanity checking the disk setup.
A flag to scsi(8) could be added for use during the install.

--
Peter Dufault               Real-Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936