Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 2002 23:14:49 +0200 (CEST)
From:      hm@kts.org (Hellmuth Michaelis)
Subject:   Surprise! (Re: HEADS UP: Port recompiles needed (Re: Unknown symbol "__sF"))

Kris Kennaway wrote:

> Peter removed the stdio transitional aid for older -current systems.
> This means that older 5.0 libraries are no longer compatible with the
> new 5.0 libc, and you will need to recompile everything that depends
> on them.  4.x applications (i.e. things that link with libc.so.4)
> should be unaffected.

After the first shock i decided to see it as a challenge, got a fresh
drive and decided to reinstall the whole (grown over the years ...)
system - preparing for the worst :-)

I am really, really astonished: all went smoothly! XFree86-4, the complete
kde3 (i never managed to compile kde on stable or current before without
the need to adjust something !), Staroffice52 and vmware all compiled out
of the box and ran out of the box (just vmware2, i had to relink
/compat/linux/dev/vmnet1 to /dev/vmnet1). The rest is not worth to mention,
i did not noticed _any_ showstopper yet!

This is cool! I'd like to thank everyone involved for the good work!

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis        Hamburg, Europe        hm@kts.org        www.kts.org
      There is a difference between an open mind and a hole in the head.