Date:      Fri, 01 Mar 1996 07:58:37 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        invalid opcode <coredump@nervosa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

invalid opcode wrote:
> Let me ammend my original opinion, yes my words were too harsh, but no, I
> do not think this document is good. You site how Linus is not forcing
> anything on anyone, well of course he isn't. Nobody has to listen to a
> thing he says, just as nobody has to listen to anything anyone says. But
> if you read his general attitude, he kind of purveys the image that if
> you don't code in his style, that you automatically don't know what you
> are doing, and should be rewriting your code. I find that imo, wrong.

More like it! :-) Although if you had written a Un*x clone as popular as
this, I think you would be entitled to a bit of arrogance. I'd quite
like to see a bit of public debate on this, involving the Linux boys.
(I'm sure this has been beaten to death there.)

I am no Linux fan - I find it slow, unstable and untidy, but there are
parts of it that are very good, and there are parts of the kernel that
are extremely good.

As an exercise for the Linux camp, I wouldn't mind checking the _whole_
of (say) slackware source into a CVS tree and inviting a core-team
equivalent to clean it up. This could quite easily require a modification
of the coding style.

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200
Finger mark@grondar.za for PGP key