Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 1996 01:20:31 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@root.com>
To:        Tony Harverson <tony@panacea.insight.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 3c509 in 2.1.5 ?

>Heya all,
>
>Just out of curiosity,  why is the patch for the 3c509 given in the
>knownbug.txt file not applied before rollout ?  If (as it says)
>several people experience hangs without it, why is it not put into
>the real release source ?

   Because you have the facts backwards. The patch was to remove a fix that was
introduced just prior to the release being made. In other words, I screwed up
and committed a "fix" that wasn't well tested just hours before the release
was made. We didn't learn about the new problem until well after the release
was put out. So to deal with this problem quickly, we created a "knownbug.txt"
file to tell people how to deal with the new bug. ...but then we discovered
several other problems with the release and it became apparant that the whole
thing was a false start. So we fixed the problems...and there you go.

-DG

David Greenman