Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2001 15:37:30 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Marko Zec <zec@tel.fer.hr>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ThinkPad 600E - hibernation problems

> Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 00:19:56 +0100
> From: Marko Zec <zec@tel.fer.hr>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Recently I installed 4.4-R on my IBM TP600E. Apart from tweaking with
> usual problems specific to TP600, commonly discussed on this forum, I
> cannot force the TP to hibernate when connected to AC power. The
> incedence matrix follows:
>
> On batteries, no pccards -> hibernates
> On batteries, "xe" pccard -> hibernates
> On AC, no pccards -> hibernates
> On AC, "xe" pccard -> won't hibernate
>
> In the last scenario, even no apm events are generated,  only the screen
> gets blanked.
> Is this a known problem, and can anyone propose a workaround?

Yes, it's a known problem. I imagine that it also generate two beeps
if you type FnF4, one normal one and a lower pitched one. If this is
the case, it's a TP BIOS issue and FreeBSD can't do anything about
it.

It is possible, even likely, that one of the many APM options in BIOS
might work around this, but I've never tried to track it down. I say
that I assume it can be fixed only because Windows DOES hibernate on
AC with the network card in.

It should be noted that changes to BIOS made with the GUI TP
Configuration Utility can somehow make changes that work for Windows
but have no effect for FreeBSD. Changes made with ps2 seem to always
work for FreeBSD. It may also be worth noting that about half of all
the ps2 options relate to APM.

Happy hunting.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)