Date:      Wed, 17 Apr 2002 12:44:08 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        michaelnottebrock@gmx.net
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mpeg 4/divx

On 17 Apr, Michael Nottebrock wrote:

>> What about: You provide the port(s), and I commit it.
>
> Okay. But it might take quite some time, I'm afraid.

No problem.

>> I expect at least to be able to use the linux encoder as soon as it hits
>> the street. From a comparision at doom9.org xvid seems to be a good
>> candidate.
>
> Linux encoder for what? DivX5? They plan to release their own encoding
> application? Hm, well. If they'd also release a _small_ player

No, I don't think so. It's just the codec I refer to. But if they do it
right (uhm... it seems I'm very optimistic), it should be usable for us
too.

> application like "The Playa" on win32, ports like "linux-divx5encoder"
> and "linux-divx5player" would become feasible...which would be a good
> thing. Or maybe, there are third-party applications which could be used
> in such a way?

I expect the later one.

> As for xvid, we will have an excellent native encoding application for
> xvid as soon as transcode gets updated to the latest release.

Hmmm... I will have a look at the PR (I already marked it in my
mailbox).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
            The dark ages were caused by the Y1K problem.