Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 1996 11:55:47 +0100 (GMT+0100)
From:      "Alain FAUCONNET" <af@biomath.jussieu.fr>
To:        tony@panacea.insight.co.za (Tony Harverson)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3c509 in 2.1.5 ?

Tony Harverson wrote / a ecrit:

> Heya all,
>
> Just out of curiosity,  why is the patch for the 3c509 given in the
> knownbug.txt file not applied before rollout ?  If (as it says)
> several people experience hangs without it, why is it not put into
> the real release source ?

Hmmmm I thought I'd reply before the main release engineers experience
a nervous breakdown reading this !

The bug has been discovered AFTER the release, and  although  the  fix
seems fairly simple, rebuilding the whole thing, integrating a  couple
more critical fixes, re-double-checking for new problems, creating the
CDROM master trees etc. is a VERY time and resource-consuming task.

Despite the huge efforts made by the nice guys who bring FreeBSD to us
(a BIG hurray to them!) this is going to take some time (I  wonder  if
they sleep sometimes ?).

While I'm eating up net bandwith, I might as well take the opportunity
to say a big THANK YOU to all the volunteers and congratulate them for
the wonderful O/S they provide us for free. FreeBSD runs on my desktop
PC at work, I would love to have my organization contribute in one way
or  another  to the FreeBSD team, but since it's a government lab this
seems  rather  difficult.  In  any case, if either of the FreeBSD core
team members happens to come to Paris some day, please drop me a line !
I  owe  you  a  tour  and  a  dinner,  guys  (if  you  can  stand   my
european-style car and driving of course ;-)

_Alain_

--
Alain FAUCONNET    Ingenieur systeme - System Manager     AP-HP/SIM
Public Health                91 bld de l'Hopital 75013 PARIS FRANCE