Date:      Sat, 01 Jan 2000 09:26:58 -0500
From:      Tony Rentschler <walterr@bellatlantic.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   sem_otime not updated?

I'm writing a program that uses a SysV semaphore, and it seems that the
sem_otime field of the semid_ds struct is not updated after a call to
semop. According to Steven's Unix Network Programming V2, the sem_otime
field is set to zero when the semaphore is created, then is updated with
the current time when semop is called.

In /usr/sys/kern/sysv_sem.c on my 3.4 STABLE, I see that the sem_otime
field is set to zero in the semget call, but is never referred to
anyplace else. So, it looks like the source confirms my experiences.

In a search of deja.com for sem_otime, I found a patch posted by Peter
Jeremy on 6/4/99, but, as far as I can tell, that's for CURRENT.

I've never worked with FreeBSD at this (low) level, but I wonder if the
patch could be applied to STABLE? I'd prefer not to move to CURRENT, nor
to apply the patch myself (because I'll forget about it a couple of
months from now when I do a buildworld!).

I'm open to suggestions on how best to proceed.

Thanks,
Tony