Date:      Sun, 14 Jun 1998 01:22:25 -0700
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   My hardware setup (and ME) in detail...

The unofficial fewtch@serv.net FAQ
----------------------------------

For those who were wondering about my setup (which is unusual) and a little
about me thrown in just FYI and for ego purposes, here is the information:

My "main" (most used) machine is a P200MMX/HX chipset motherboard with 64
megs RAM, running Win95 exclusively and fully equipped with a Tseng ET-6000
based video card, CDROM drive, modem, PCI-based sound card, 2 gig hard
drive, Syquest SparQ 1 gig removable, scanner, printer, etc.  I have this
main PC connected to a second PC (described below) via Ethernet crossover
cable (no hub) using 3com 3c503 ISA Ethernet cards, and a switchbox which
allows the two machines to share the same monitor, mouse and keyboard.

The second machine is a 486-66 (soon to be upgraded to 486-133) with
generic Vesa Local Bus motherboard, ATI Mach32 VLB video card, 32 megs RAM
and a 2.1 gig hard drive in a triple boot configuration (Win95, Win NT and
FreeBSD). Booting is controlled with Boot Manager (made famous by OS/2 and
included with the "Partition Magic" drive partitioning program).  The first
primary partition is boot manager, the second the FreeBSD partition, the
third Win95.  There is also an extended partition with Windows NT installed
on it (when I boot to the Win95 partition, I get a menu letting me select
either Win95 on C: or Win NT on D:).  Win95 and NT can both access each
other since they're both on FAT file systems, the FreeBSD machine can
access any of it supposedly.  The machine has no CDROM drive, no modem, a
sound card unsupported by FreeBSD (Ensoniq Soundscape).  I have 1 gig
dedicated to FreeBSD, with the rest shared between Windows 95 and Win NT
(yes, they both fit fine in 1 gig of space, but not a lot of room for many
applications - most of my apps are on my main machine though - the second
machine is mostly a testbed for software and OS's).

I built both machines myself, from "scratch" (in quotes because "building"
a PC doesn't mean building it from electronic components).

I installed FreeBSD by downloading it via modem on the primary machine to
my Syquest SparQ drive, and copying the entire install tree over to the
Win95 partition on the second machine via Ethernet, then choosing "install
from a DOS partition" when requested by the FreeBSD sysinstall utility.  A
tedious process, to say the least, and a real pain when package
dependencies arise (better now though that I'm able to FTP to the Win95
machine while in FreeBSD, which makes new package installs much easier
using pkg_add).

A little about me, too - I've been into computers for 15 years (first
computer was a Commodore 64 in 1983), and have owned every kind of Intel
machine up to P5 (I've owned 8088's, 286's, 386's, 486's, Pentiums and have
used AMD chips as well in some machines).  I've never used anything above a
P5 (can't really afford a P2II system and don't want to go with AMD K6/K7
as of yet, although that may be coming down the road).  I'm working on an
Electronics Technician certificate (completed basic and advanced main
courses (the "bin" install part of the program) :-) and will be resuming
classes in the fall (night classes) - 1 to 2 more years to go, the rest is
all details, not basics.

I'm currently out of work and on disability payments, which will not go on
for more than the next couple more years (I'm basically able to work full
time now probably).  I'm building a workshop in my garage and plan on
starting a very small PC build/repair upgrade business in the near future,
with maybe some custom programming on the side.  I've been a BASIC
programmer since 1983 and have used QuickBASIC 4.5, PowerBASIC, VB3, 4 and
5.  I also know some C programming (took a beginning and advanced course
but forgot a lot of it.. I guess now is my chance to remember now that I'm
running FreeBSD).  C++ I took one basic course in and found that I hated
the language - it seems to me to be a hack of C, and the syntax and grammar
are just too bizarre for me to comprehend.  Give me RAD tools and Visual
Basic type stuff any day :-)  On the BSD side, interpreted or compiled
scripts are nice, too, and I look forward to playing with Perl in the
future as well as doing some C programming/relearning.

I hope that explained things fairly well (if not, just type "man fewtch"
the next time you start FreeBSD :-).  Questions to fewtch@serv.net directly
please (not via the mailing list).

Tim