Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 08:10:09 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>, FreeBSD-Newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I did it!! Success! Yes!!

On Sun, Jun 14, 1998 at 02:16:38PM -0700, Tim Gerchmez wrote:

> As I've discovered today, it's not an easy task to run a named server,
> unless I'm going completely in the wrong direction with my hacking
> around... I can now ftp from Win95 to the IP address I gave the BSD box
> without problems, but can't give it a name (like bsd-box.local.net) and FTP
> to that.  Apparently the BSD setup HAS to be registered with the InterNIC
> and connect to a name server somewhere on the Internet in order to run
> named.  If not, someone direct me to some resources as to how to do it.
> I'm hopelessly confused with how to use BIND - is there another way to run
> named aside from BIND for people on an intranet and not connected to the
> general Internet at all?  If anyone knows, Email me directly, please.

Well I decided to answer here because this is mostly about windoze so it
would not be well placed in freebsd-questions.

I had a FreeBSD machine and two NT machines (NT4 workstation, and NT3.50
on an alpha) networked for a while without using DNS but using hosts
files. In FreeBSD it's /etc/hosts and in win there's a file called either
host or hosts in the main directory (pathname is different on different
flavours). In each case there should be a file there already that shows
you what format to use to enter a line for each machine with notepad or
similar. After simply listing my machines in these and rebooting I could
use their short machine names to connect.

I guess this works the same for win95. Can anyone confirm?

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-