Date:      Thu, 23 May 1996 11:09:05 +0530 (IST)
From:      malli@wipro.wipsys.soft.net (Mallikarjuna Rao)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        malli@wipro.wipsys.soft.net (Mallikarjuna Rao)
Subject:   why globbing is partial in ftp??

Hi Hackers,

	The ftpd(server) does globbing if the path includes ~. Otherwise
it does not.

For example:

	if "/usr/malli" is my home directory and test is a directory in my
home directory.

After loggin
If I do
ftp> cd  ~malli/tes*
It works.

If I do
ftp> cd  tes* (from /usr/malli)
It does not work. (test directory exists in /usr/malli)

Same thing applys for all ftp commands like get, put, ...

This is because, the 659th line of ftpcmd.y in ftpd checks if the first
character in the path is ~ or not. If it is ~ then it does globbing else
it does not.
Following are few lines of the code

                        if (logged_in && $1 && *$1 == '~') {
                                glob_t gl;
                                int flags =

This behavior of ftp cd command is different from the unix cd command.
I want to know whether this is the standard behavior of ftp or
is this a bug?.

Thanks in advance,
Malli.