Date:      12 Feb 2003 20:31:39 +0100
From:      "clemens fischer" <ino-qc@spotteswoode.de.eu.org>
To:        "Bogdan TARU" <bgd@icomag.de>
Cc:        "Tim Kientzle" <kientzle@acm.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gettings snapshots of load spikes

Bogdan TARU <bgd@icomag.de>:

>> >  I am having a real weird problem with a newly installed Dell PowerEdge
>> > 2650 which acts as a web (Apache) and mail server(Procmail). The load just
>> > 'spikes' sometimes (to 40.00 or so), but immediately starts to go down.

>> Also, look in your apache and mail server log files
>> to see if you're getting a burst of some sort of
>> errors around that time.

>  I have, and found nothing there at all (looked into the system logs as
> well, same outcome).

i have seen email installations where a combination of scripts and
procmail produce a bunch of procmails chewing on their respective
emails.  also, procmail can't be called a "server", if you're talking
about the mail-filter.  if the system spikes (you might notice by the
disk(s) giving sounds if near enough), just do "ps waux |less".

what is your SMTP server?  do you run webmailers, or formmail(?)  ?

  clemens