Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 19:30:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        mi@aldan.algebra.com, DougB@yahoo-inc.com, mjacob@feral.com, peter@wemm.org, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sbin/newfs newfs.8 newfs.c

:
:In message <200110152328.f9FNSmm74347@misha.privatelabs.com> mi@aldan.algebra.com writes:
:: I don't like the "vaguesness" of this. Do other ratios work (even if
:: slower), or do the trigger bugs nobody wants to chase? Just MHO, of
:: course...
:
:other ratios do seem to work on systems that don't have a high disk
:load.  we've shipped systems with 4k/1k and haven't had problems with
:that.
:
:Warner

    Well, this is why the bug hasn't been nailed down yet.  For a long time
    (3.x, 4.0, 4.1 days) the buffer cache and VM system had serious breakage
    when it came to oddly sized buffers and we spent a long time fixing that.
    So far nobody has been able to determine whether the fragment ratio
    breakage (when it can be reproduced at all) is due to bugs in UFS or
    if there are still bugs in the buffer cache.

					-Matt