Date:      Wed, 22 May 1996 23:51:34 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Jeffrey Hsu <hsu@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: src/gnu

:   > Apart from that, wouldn't it make more sense to use the "ports" paradigm
:   > on them instead of checking in all the files ?  In theory we should be
:   > running pretty much footool-9.3.tar.gz with a few patches, so why not
:   > speed up our CVS-tree by actually not checking in the thousands of files
:
: I agree with Poul.  The bmake paradigm for gcc just isn't working.
: If the ports model fits better, we should use that instead.

One thing to consider is that the gnu software has a habbit of
disappearing off the FTP sites after a while.  This would force an
ungrade or leave some people out in the cold should the FSF produce a
series of bad releases of a certain program.

Warner