Date:      Mon, 25 May 2009 21:06:27 -0700
From:      perryh@pluto.rain.com
To:        glen.j.barber@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: updating from 7.1 to 7.2 AMD64

Glen Barber <glen.j.barber@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 9:19 PM, Wojciech Puchar
> <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:
> >
> > even more important - why you are upgrading at all. did you find
> > in 7.1 problems that you wanted to solve by moving to 7.2?
>
> Are you suggesting a user should only upgrade if they are having
> a problem, or do you just like to contribute more nonsense to the
> list by asking irrelevant questions to the OP's topic?

I'd say it depends very much on the system's use.  For a system
which is in production (i.e. doing ongoing work), there is a
great deal to be said for not fixing things that aren't broken.

Even within a major release branch (7.0 => 7.1 => 7.2) it is not
at all uncommon for a point release to introduce new problems
along with its new capabilities.  If that were not the case, there
would be no need for the RE folks to maintain the security/errata
branches.  Suggesting that the OP consider the risks along with
the benefits is hardly irrelevant to a question about upgrading.