Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 1996 18:17:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jaye Mathisen  <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   New routed weirdness.

Witness the following netstat -r output from a 8/14 sup system.

med-pm4-017        med-pm4            UGH         0        7       ep1
med-pm4-018/31     med-pm4            UGc         0      953       ep1
med-pm5-000/31     med-pm5            UGc         0       25       ep1
med-pm5-002/29     med-pm5            UGc         0       22       ep1
med-pm5-008        0:c0:5:1:3c:1f     UHLW        0       86       ep1
836
med-pm5-009        0:c0:5:1:3c:1f     UHLW        0       23       ep1
838
med-pm5-010/31     med-pm5            UGc         0        0       ep1
med-pm5-013        med-pm5            UGH         0      428       ep1
med-pm5-014/31     med-pm5            UGc         0        0       ep1
med-pm5-015        chop               UGH         0        0       vx0
med-pm5-016        chop               UGH         0        0       vx0

The med-pm? boxes are Livingston PM's, the med-pm?-??? are PPP dialin
users.

The PM's run RIP V1.  But if I read this correctly, somehow I'm picking up
RIP packets where the host is advertised as having a netmask of 29 bits or
31 bits, rather than 32 bits.

However, I don't see how this is possible.  I guess I need some
suggestions on how to track down specifically what's wrong.

has anybody else running the new routed seen this?

Heck, I'm not even sure if the netstat output even makes sense, since it
seems to be showing a mix of proxy arp and routes, when the machines are
all set up identically, and the users are all configured identically, it
seems like it should be one or the other.

Anyway, I guess I can tcpdump some data, and muck around with rtquery, but
I'm curious if anybody's seen this behaviour with the PM's.

It only seems to show up on routes to PM connected users, everything else
seems to putt along just fine.