Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 1995 11:08:04 +0800 (CST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
Cc:        FREEBSD-HACKERS-L <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Can't boot a new 2.0.5A system

On Thu, 1 Jun 1995, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> >     I don't know how you other folks did it, but I can't boot a
> > freshly installed 2.0.5A disk.  I go through all the steps, choosing
> > logical choices, but then when it goes to reboot, I get "Missing
> > operating system".
>
> Geometry correct?

    Hmmmm... I thought one of the reasons why I bought a SCSI drive
was to avoid worrying about stuff like geometry and cylinder
translations and what not.  At least I never had to worry about it on
any other computer with a SCSI disk until now.  The older installers
guessed it correctly, so I didn't touch the settings on this one.

    Somehow, I made it work last night, possibly because of two
things:  I reformatted the drive using an MS-DOS 6.2 utility disk
(which then proceeded to allocate most/all of the drive as C:).  Then
I grabbed the updated boot disk and used that.  I noticed that tell
the Partition Editor to use the entire disk for FreeBSD now results in
a different layout.  Before, it automatically created two partitions:
a small 22-block unused one and one large FreeBSD partition.  Now it
creates two unused partitions, one from 0-62 blocks and the other from
2108106-2109375 blocks (1270 blocks).  The chunk in between is
allocated to FreeBSD.  Somehow, I still have 1029 megabytes (although
I didn't note down the block boundaries the first time around).

    After partitioning the disk, a dialog box popped up saying "Too
many active children of 'whole'" and an exit button.  Hitting the exit
button returns you to the previous installation screen.  No apparent
bad side-effects.

    Just to be safe, I told the installer to write out a boot manager.
After unpacking the bin distribution for about the 7th time that
evening ;-), I edited /etc/fstab to mount my NFS /usr/local and
/usr/X11R6, rebooted... and it worked!  I didn't touch any of the
geometry settings throughout the whole process.

    More notes later...
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org