Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 1996 07:47:26 EDT -0400
From:      "Tony Magner" <akmagner@interramp.com>
To:        David Greenman <davidg@root.com>, questions@FREEBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTPD not loading on FBSD 2.1.1

Thus spake David Greenman <davidg@root.com> on 16 Jul 96 about Re: FTPD
not loading on FBSD 2.1.1:

>>I hope somebody can help me!
>>
>>My BSD system has been running flawlessly for months until this past
>>weekend sometime.  What has happened now is that ftpd, telnetd, and Samba
>>will not load.  Even manually starting ftpd results in errors about
>>getpeername and getsockname.  I'm using wu-ftpd 2.4.  Any ideas?  Think
>>the host table or maybe the kernel got screwed up?  Please help as I'm
>>desparate.
>
>   You can't start ftpd manually. It is written to be spawned from inetd and
>is expecting to inherit the socket file descriptor on stdin/stdout.
>   It sounds like you're not starting inetd anymore in your /etc/rc file.

But inetd *is* called from /etc/rc.  The other thing is I can ftp to
localhost with no problem so ftpd *must* be running...right?  Anything
else to check?

Can you explain further this "socket file descriptor"?

TIA

   -- Tony Magner
   -- Anthony.S.Magner@cpmx.saic.com (work)
   -- akmagner@interramp.com (home)

      PGP key: email maiser@blueridge-ef.saic.com
      with "finger magner" in the message body