Date:      Thu, 23 May 1996 00:31:43 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Gary Aitken <garya@ics.com>
Cc:        Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: stty -- not

I'm not sure what the right and proper way to do this is, but I have a
printcap entry:

lp:bj200:Canon BJ-200e:\
        :sh:lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/bj200:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:mx#0:
lc:bj200-crlf:Canon BJ-200e with CRLF translation:\
        :sh:lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/bj200:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:mx#0:\
        :if=/usr/local/bin/addcr:
ps:bj200-ps:Canon BJ-200e with PostScript translation:\
        :sh:lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/bj200:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:mx#0:\
        :if=/usr/local/bin/psfilt:

where addcr does the following:

#!/bin/sh
sed -e 's/$/^M/'
echo ^L

(the two character sequences above ^M, etc are really the actual
control characters).

I then print lpr -Plc xxx to print something that isn't raw bits for
my printer.  The ps entry is so I can print postscript files directly
on my non-postscript printer with the aid of gs.  I lost my psfilt
program in the last great disk crash, but it was a simple hack of
gsbj.  Since I use aladdin gs, I get free pdf printing too :-).

A kludge I know, but it even worked when I had the LA-50 hooked up to
the machine, and that was a serial printer.  I just let lpd open the
LA-50 in raw mode and dealt with the problem elsewhere.

Pointers to the right way to do this would be accepted joyfully.

Warner

P.S.  I sent my last mail after midnight to give me an additional 24
hours to come up with something :-)