Date:      03 Nov 2001 11:03:33 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
Cc:        Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NatWest? no thanks

David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com> writes:

> The heart of the problem, IMHO, is that computers are our first general
> purpose appliance. General purpose devices are harder to use than
> specific purpose devices.

I agree that they usually are, but they needn't be, except for the
ability to use different physical interfaces.  There's two problems:

1) G.P. devices usually get many more user-controlled features than the
sum of the S.P. devices.

2) G.P. devices usually get crumier user interfaces than S.P. devices,
for several reasons.  Often the designer is a CLI-centric technoid
instead of a artistic industrial designer.  Often the same user-
interface ideas will be used for each device emulation, compromising
the usability of one or more.

So the problem is that people are being offered tools with too many
features without organizing them and giving them good defaults so that
they can be as easy to use as older devices to do the same limited
things while having the ability to do much more for those who want to
learn their use.

That gets you to the next level of problem though, because that
organization makes the thing more difficult for the advanced user
to use.  Thus the increasing ability to reconfigure the UI.

Using a CLI/configfile makes all features simultaneously available and
about the only way to present varying levels of usage-difficulty is to
give the "man" command a "--ignorance-level" option so it could present
differently-targeted man pages to people.  Showing a beginner the man
page for "sh", "tar", "find", or "xterm" is a good way to send them
running.  I guess we sort of make our featureful CLI programs easy to
use by offering The Handbook, e-mag articles, Linux HOWTOs and books.
Well, it worked for me; no reason it shouldn't work for everyone else.