Date:      Fri, 9 Jul 1999 10:19:23 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
To:        Francisco Reyes <freyes@inch.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SMC EZcard or Linksys ethernet?

 > ed0 not found at 0x280

 > Aren't NE2000 part of the Generic kernel?

They are, just to make sure you had not by accident recompiled without
them.

 > No. I will try man userconfig when I am at the box.

I was referring to the visual userconfig you have been using (see
below).

 > I made the cards 280H, IRQ 5 and made sure that FreeBSD was looking for
 > them.
 > I booted with -C and ran the "visual" configuration (this is a 2.2.7
 > box) and found drivers for NE2000 and they were set to 280H, IRQ5. Also
 > tried setting IRQ 5 to ISA on the bios setup.

 > >Do the cards work in other machines? Under other OS's?
 >
 > They are brand new. I used another computer to configure them and take
 > out the PNP (DOS utilities).

Silly question: You didn't plug in both cards into the same machine with
the same iobase/irq settings? Nothing conflicting? You don't happen to
use for example a soundblaster or second parallel port. Also, in your
dmesg there quite a few irq's unassigned ('??'). You might want to check
that those do not end up in the way.

What does the ouput of the PCI configuration say (just after boot, when
the overview of your systems components has appeared).

Nick