Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 1996 11:58:03 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        Jan Knepper <106030.3360@compuserve.com>
Cc:        "[FreeBSD Hackers]" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: HP 100VG support

On Wed, 14 Aug 1996, Jan Knepper wrote:

> I was able to get hold of a J2585 card and was thinking of putting in the
> effort to port the freely available CRYNWR packet driver to FreeBSD as
> there seemed to some degree of interest for this card on the list.

[snip]

> So, I am certainly interrested in building a driver for a J2585A or HP 100
> VG. The thing is that I will need a few pointers to get started. I was
> hoping to get these from Koshy, but I have not heard from him yet. I might
> as well have lost some e-mail.
>
> Anyone that know about writing ethernet drivers that could give me a hit to
> get started?

I haven't written an ethernet driver, but if were to do one I'd start with
a driver such as if_ep.c and if_vx.c for an example and then track down
the CRYNWR HP 100VG driver to figure out what it does.  There is support
for HP Lan+ in if_ed.c and this might also help.

I'm assuming specs for the card are not easy to obtain.

Regards,

Mike