Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 1996 14:36:25 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        karl@Mcs.Net (Karl Denninger)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, karl@Mcs.Net, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Building ports and packages?

Karl Denninger stands accused of saying:

> > Can you be more specific about exactly what fails when you try building
> > stuff?  Are you getting makefile breakdown, checksum failures, or compile
> > failures?
>
> I'm getting checksum failures, failures to get the dist files (I fixed that
> by SUPping them and the ports list from ftp.freebsd.org) and STILL got
> checksum failures!

Hmm.  If you're sure your collection is up-to-date (and that you're supping
from someone that is), let ports@freebsd.org know about your checksum
failures.  I'm not so keen on aborting the build just because the
checksums don't match, but that's policy 8(

Failure fetch the distfiles tends to imply that the new 'fetch' tool
doesn't work.  I always fetch manually, so I haven't seen that one.

> So now I'm commenting out specific distributions..... but it appears that
> about 10% or so are blowing up.  And repacking them is basically impossible;
> "make packages" doesn't do anything other than run through the builds (it
> makes no .tgz files)

'make package' requires 'make install' beforehand, so you have to be root
to do it.

> > Which /usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk do you have?  Latest is
> > $Id: bsd.port.mk,v 1.218 1996/08/07 08:25:08 asami Exp $
> > $Id: bsd.port.subdir.mk,v 1.14 1996/04/09 22:54:13 wosch Exp $
>
> That's what's in my directory here...
>
> # $Id: bsd.port.mk,v 1.216 1996/07/05 06:12:12 jkh Exp $

Hmm, that's 1.216, not 1.218.  I don't know if the changes are significant.

> Ok; I'll go ahead and load that, but the problem is that I'm still hosed on
> the distributions that fail checksum...

If the checksums are pissing you off (like they do me), then just delete
them all in the short term, and complain like hell on freebsd-ports to
get something done about them in the long term.

If I had the time and the connectivity (ha!) I'd cook up a quick Tcl
script to walk the ports tree, retrieve the distfiles and check their
checksums.

I don't; if you have the bandwidth then perhaps we could collaborate on
this - keeping track of 500+ distfiles is an almost impossible task from
the manual point of view.

At any rate, _please_ advise the freebsd-ports list of the ports that are
giving you build trouble so that they can be checked and fixed.