Date:      Sun, 20 Mar 2005 18:51:44 -0600 (CST)
From:      Duo <duo@digitalarcadia.net>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: MS Exchange server on FreeBSD?

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> Actually I don't agree with that statement Duo.  Every new version of
> Exchange has gotten bigger, fatter, more complex, slower, and harder
> and harder to troubleshoot when there is a problem.  Sure there are
> more features, but the price is the black box has gotten so large that
> you cannot fix anything in it anymore.

yes, that was exactly my point, I was agreeing. Embrace and Extend, as a
policy has worked for Microsoft, by embracing a standard, extending it in
a proprietary manner, hooking people in, and then trapping them in a
system.

>> I prefer to take the choice out of the users hands. MDaemon
>> virus scans
>> mail as it comes in. Users never get a chance to possibly infect
>> their system.
>>

> Today it is completely irresponsible to set up a corporate mailsystem
> that lacks mandatory virus scanning.

Indeed, again, I agree. This is why my mailserver scans, as well as the
desktop. I think you may have misunderstood my Point of view on this Ted.
=)

--
Duo

Although the Buddhists will tell you that desire is the root of
suffering, my personal experience leads me to point the finger at system
administration.
 	--Philip Greenspun