Date:      Sun, 14 Feb 1999 11:46:02 -0800
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        jgrosch@mooseriver.com, Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Windows Refund Day: Watch out for Linux tactics

On Sun, Feb 14, 1999 at 11:59:58AM -0700, Brett Glass wrote:
> At 01:42 PM 2/13/99 -0800, Josef Grosch wrote:
>
> >BAFUG (Bay Area FreeBSD Users Group) is also involved in this. BAFUG has
> >been coordating the Linux people here in the Bay Area to pull this
> >off.
>
> And the Linux people are doing everything in their power to make sure
> that the public thinks EVERYONE there is a Linux user. Note that the
> press report you quoted mentions ONLY Linux! My belief is that they
> intend to play the users of other operating systems who show up for
> patsies -- use them to strengthen the impression that everyone at
> the event uses Linux, and only Linux.

Brett, your zealotry has reached unprecedented heights.  Please keep
all harping about the evils of Linux limited to GPL/FSF/Stallman-
related topics.  Those at least make sense and are within the realm
of possibility.

>From the very first paragraph of <http://hugin.imat.com/refund/>, the
Bay Area refund organization:

"If you are a user of Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, or another
free/Open Source operating system, you may be entitled to a refund
for unused Microsoft products bundled with your computer."

The Bay Area movement, and Rick Moen in particular, has done a
fantastic job of uniting different OS camps in this effort, achieving
that goal without any sniping between camps (until you had to shoot
off your mouth/fingers).  Just admit that, for this one day, all Open
Source (and even all non-Microsoft) OSes have a common enemy.  If you
can't do that, then just shut up and let the rest of us try to get our
money back.  You can resume your regular tirade on February 16th.

Regards,

Greg
--
Gregory S. Sutter                 Bureaucrats cut red tape -- lengthwise.
mailto:gsutter@pobox.com